Section V: Weighing and Measuring Bulls
- Weighing of Bulls: Bulls will not be allowed in the barn before, Monday, February 26, 2018. All bulls must be in the barn and weighed by 4:00 p.m. on February 26, 2018. All bulls will be officially weighed and examined by the Association on the sale premises. Weight, date of birth, birth weight and weight per day of age (WPDA), as well as 205- and 365-day weights will be posted on the stall card and placed above each bull. A weigh order procedure will be implemented at the scale.
- Weight Requirements: Bulls born in 2016 entered in the 2018 Calgary Bull Sale require a 2.2 weight per day of age to be eligible for sale. Bulls born in 2017 entered in the 2018 Calgary Bull Sale require a 2.5 weight per day of age to be eligible for the sale. Age will be calculated from the bull’s birthdate to the day weighed at the sale. There are no WPDA requirements for three-year old bulls.
- EPDs: will be collected from respective breed associations the beginning of January for inclusion in the catalogue and stall cards.
- Birthweights: Birthweights may be noted on the official entry form. If they are not available, please mark N/A on the entry form. Birthweights if available will be posted on the official stall card at the 2018 Calgary Bull Sale. Birthweights recorded on registration certificates will be transferred to stall cards.
- Semen Certificate: All bulls entered in the Calgary Bull Sale are required to have a completed Bull Breeding Soundness Evaluation form (Western Canadian Association of Bovine Practitioners) from a qualified veterinarian. Incomplete or illegible forms can result in refused entry. All bulls must be semen tested “satisfactory” within 30 days prior to the sale. Certificates dated prior to January 30, 2018 will not be accepted. The scrotal circumference must appear on the semen certificate. Bulls may be subject to re-measurement and semen test at the discretion of the official inspector appointed by the Alberta Cattle Breeders Association.